Wednesday, May 1, 2013

First e-mail from New Mexico....no wait! FROM TEXAS!

Richard flew out to Albuquerque on Monday, April 29.  We did not hear anything at all after he arrived.  By Tuesday, I began to wonder where he ended up so I checked his bank account thinking that if he needed a bike, I would be able to see where he purchased a bike.  Well, no bike purchase but he did make a purchase at a burger place in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  So, we thought he ended up in Las Cruces.  Well, later that night I stocked his bank account again and noticed a purchase at Lowes in EL PASO, TEXAS.  My first thought was, "He couldn't be closer to the Mexico border than that!"  Within a minute of discovering where he was at, I got a picture text from a member in El Paso saying that Elder Broulim was at his home teaching a discussion.  This wonderful member assured us that Richard would be taken care of!  This brought us a lot of peace.  Soon after that, I received a phone call from Mike Miller (a friend of Richard's in the Rigby area) and he said that his sister-in-law's sister (who lives in El Paso) called his brother and sister-in-law (who live in California) to tell them that she ran into the grocery store to see two missionaries at the check-out.  She proceeded to talk with the missionaries asking them where they were from.  Richard said "Rigby, Idaho" and immediately connections were made back to Mike.  Richard and his companion will be eating Sunday dinner at her home this week!  Thank heavens for wonderfully kind strangers!

Today (Wednesday, May 1) we received our first e-mail from Elder Broulim.  Here is some of what he had to say, "NM is very, very hot and brown. Flying into NM, I  couldn't see any green, just brown.  Once we landed we met our mission president and his wife. They took us straight to the temple for a picture. The temple is really pretty. There is NO grass. everyone's yard is rock. Then we went to the mission home for interviews and an amazing lunch made by Sister Miller. (Nice to finally eat good food). After that, we got paired with an older Elder to go tracting... door knocking. It was crazy. I was put with a stud Elder that has been out for 2 months from Boise. We knocked on 2 doors and got completely rejected. The third let us in for a very short lesson before kicking us out. We then got kicked out of the apartment complex. It was really hard but gotta build that thick skin. We returned to the mission home for a great dinner and some lessons. Afterwards we had a testimony meeting--it was great. (This is all with my district from the MTC + about 10.) We slept on the floor that night and woke up about 5am and headed to the Albuquerque church for transfer meetings. There were tons of Elders and Sisters. President Miller  began announcing names of companionships and who was going to be our trainers. Everyone was paired up except me and another Elder. We were told that we would be heading South. Boy did I not know what I was in for.... we had a 6 hour packed full 12 passenger van ride that turned into more... once we made it to Las Cruces, we were waiting for the other van to arrive with our luggage. It didn't show up for 3 more hours because it got rear-ended. We then had another transfer meeting and everyone got paired up again EXCEPT ME . I was told I'd be headed another 2 hours to El Paso. This is where I am now. I am with Elder Taylor from Cali. He is a great trainer. It is 100 degrees today and its only the first of May. I feel like I learned the wrong language in the MTC because EVERYONE and their dog speaks Spanish. I CAN THROW A ROCK INTO MEXICO. We are right on the border where the big fence is. Border patrol is crazy. Our apartment is a little shysty. We have to flush with a bucket of water and it is very very dirty. I am having a hard time adjusting. It is like 200 degreezzzzz in our little tiny apartment and there is little nasty looking cats running everywhere. Last night, I got to meet Elder Taylor's favorite members, Jake and Mary. Elder Taylor has taught many of Jake's friends in their home. Jake is in the army. Last night we taught Jake's friend, Keith.  He knows absolute nothing about the church except bad stuff he learned on south park. The lesson went great but we don't know if we will get to talk to him again. We got to bed pretty late last night because I had to unpack. We are teaching a guy named Enoch tonight. This will be his third discussion. I'm pretty excited. I have to teach a lot of it so I'm peeing my pants a lottle.  I have met a couple of nice members but the people here aren't very accepting to the gospel. Most doors we knock on don't know English or they just look at us and shut the door. I hope it gets better in that aspect."


"Sister Miller felt like my grandma... so very nice to me.  I felt very good in their home. I am out of time to email..  I love you all so so so much. I can't tell you enough. I am so blessed." 

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, this is such a great idea! It keeps everyone updated and when he comes home you can print this blog into a book. What a great mission keepsake! TaNelle Allen

    ReplyDelete