Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First week in El Paso

"Holy El Paso....it's crazy here!  I have been teaching a lot about families.  The gospel blesses families so much.  We are so blessed.  My first week went good.  There is a lot of work to do around these parts!  I haven't been outside of Idaho and Utah very much...NO ONE knows about our church!  No one knows what it is really like to be happy! Ha, I have a whole new outlook on our church...I never understood how truly blessed we are to have been raised in it!  Missionary work is so great.  I love being part of this army of God, fighting for the right cause.  I can't lie to you...This is the hardest thing I have done in my life.  It is not easy to be away from my family and friends but  it is SO rewarding.  We have been teaching a man named Jose  Jose is in protective custody because he just recently got out of a gang and out of the drug cartel.  He had to leave his wife because she is still involved.  Jose was baptized when he was young but obviously became a wangster.  We gave him a blessing last night because he is so scared.  I can't tell you the joy it brings to me to hear people pray to their loving Heavenly Father for the first time.  It brings tears to my eyes every time...it is amazing.  I have had a lot of amazing experiences lately.  My companion, Elder Justin Taylor is going to be a forever friend.  We were called of God to be companions.  He blows my mind.  I have to pinch him sometimes to see if he is real. He shares the best messages and I learn so much from him.  We are so much alike and get along great. He helps me open up when I am having a hard time.  He lost his mom unexpectedly about 6 months ago...He has only been in the field for 2 months and is already a trainer.  I couldn't imagine losing my mom!  Elder T is the strongest man I've ever met.  When I am feeling low, I think of him.  There is always something that happens in the day that makes it all worth it though.  I love seeing the spirit touch peoples lives.  We got chased by a BIG dog yesterday, I ****** my pants a little.  We also taught an institute class with no notice.  It was good.  There is a Tongon/Poly Elder that is a college football player named Elder Mongolie.  He is in our district.  He is second cousins with Manti Tao (thought Garrett might like that).  There are a lot of nice people around here but there are alot of very mean, but it's all part of it.  No one can touch me!  The violence in Mexico is crazy...they say you can pay someone 50 dollars for someone's head.  I am SO grateful for wherewe live!  So, I have met people who remember Elder Ricks!!!! (Richard's cousin who served in the Tucson Mission a few years back who also served in El Paso) It is so awesome.  So our ward consists of like 50 people.  We as missionaries pretty much run the whole thing.  I did announcements ha ha.  I LOVE MY FAMILY! Letters work better for sure but I love e-mail  It just takes forever to read the e-mail because these computers are so dang slow and ancient.  Can't wait to talk to you all on Mother's Day!  Please send me whatever you want.  I am doing great right now.  Thank you soooooo much for the package..it made my whole day.  I love it.  Please send things for Elder Taylor too...we cry together all the time talking about you.  You remind him exactly of his mom.  I love you all so much. 100 degree dry heat is really HOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment